Sunday, July 24, 2022

Palermo, Sicily















 I got up 6 am and planned to follow local people’s advice to take train from Catania to Palermo; however, Italian national railway only ran bus this morning. Nevertheless, the bus did past Enna, the center city of Sicily. Enna is about 1000m above sea level, and was the destination of a family of 5 vision-impaired people. Everyone was trying to help, but they persisted their independence. Yes, the parents with white canes plus three young girls wearing big-heavy low-vision eyeglasses are the true travelers! I toyed with the idea to stop over Enna but I don’t have extra day to do so and the railway station is 5km away well below the Enna, with only hourly buses into the centre. Wish the family travels travel safely and smoothly. 


After the morale-boosting encounter with the family, I dropped my bag in the hostel and started walking in the 40c hot sun among churches and museums (only got in free-admission ones), such as Chiesa della Martorana, Chiesa di San Cataldo, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Piazza Bologni, La Cattedrale di Palermo, etc.


I went back to hostel to check in and took a break, and then walked again between 4-6 pm. I changed into hiking boots for Monte Pellegrino, yet I simply lacked the will power to hike in 40c for 12 miles and bailed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer 2022: Norther Europe & Southern Italy + Taiwan

  Iceland – Norway (hiking) – Stockholm, Sweden - Tallinn, Estonia - Helsinki, Finland day trip - Riga, Latvia – Vilnius Lithuania – Sicily ...